Sunday, June 7, 2015

Log-Leg Bench

I built this bench last year for a fund-raising auction. It was fairly popular and easy to make.


The method of construction is very straightforward:


Build the seat as a small platform. Here the seat is 42" long by about 26" deep.

Cut four legs out of a log and notch them to fit on to the ends of the bench. I notched these with a small electric chainsaw. 

Put arms on top of the legs.

Put a back-rest on top of the arms. I angled the back-rest here a bit. I think it looks nice, but isn't really required. Once you put some screws through the back into it, its not going anywhere. I would have used a large branch for this if I had one.



Put the back on. I attached the back pieces to the back-rest with screws, then put screws up through the seat into them.


 I put a bit of darker stain on it to bring the rough-sawn texture out of the wood, then sealed it with outdoor finish.

I made the coffee table with the cut-offs and some slate mosaic I had left over.

Costs: Nothing - Everything here was either given to me or was left over from other projects.

No comments:

Post a Comment