Sunday, September 13, 2015

DIY Track Saw 1

My next project to improve the shop is to make a track saw. 

I use a circular saw quite often, mainly to cross-cut plywood before ripping it on the table saw. I simply draw a line using a T-square and freehand it. That works OK, but then I need to resaw it if I need a precise edge. Since I'm going to be making a full set of kitchen cabinets soon, I thought a track saw would be nice to have.

Since I'm going to be modifying the base to ride the track, I want a dedicated saw. I found this one at the Goodwill outlet for $15. This model was about $200 when new and is selling used on Ebay for around $70.


It's a Makita M513, that looks like it's had very little use. I put a new DeWalt blade on it, and it cuts great. I'm assuming this saw is intended for contractor use.


It has a normal metal blade guard, the motor housing is made of thick plastic - and the saw is really heavy. It's all in the motor, which is exactly what I'm looking for. I want something that will last a long time and cut through anything.

What's next:
- Decide on a design for the track and sled
- Make sure the sled has zero-clearance on the blade for clean cuts
- Figure out how to add a sawdust collection port

Finally, I've been thinking about doing some simple videos - this might be a good place to start.

3 comments:

  1. It hat saw was NOT $200 new. Its a cheaply made homeowner tool. Not professional grade by any means.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bruh

      How did your track saw turn out? This is an excellent saw. Its a beast and and a damn smart one. TBH, the previous commenter is incorrect--this is a high quality tool made with precision by/for Japanese carpenters. These old Makitas are very reliable, true and valuable. A real pleasure to work with considering what's available today. I was just given one for FREE by a customer who's husband left it behind in a divorce.
      On that note, cheers

      Delete
  2. How did your track saw turn out? This is an excellent saw. It's a beast and and a damn smart one. TBH, the previous commenter is incorrect--this is a high quality tool made with precision by/for Japanese carpenters. These old Makitas are very reliable, true and valuable. A real pleasure to work with considering what's available today. I was just given one for FREE by a customer who's husband left it behind in a divorce.
    On that note, cheers

    ReplyDelete